In this fats-free dessert, the pineapple compote is enhanced by the Malibu coconut flavor rum and it looks great decorated with fresh mint sprigs.
Preparation time: 15-20 minutes plus 45 minutes for cooling and up to 30 minutes for refrigeration
Serving is for 4 persons.
One serving contains:
46 g carbohydrate
1 g protein
25g glacé cherries, cut in half
3 oz Malibu coconut rum
1.3 kg pineapple
5 cm cinnamon stick, half cut
2 star anise fruits
75g brown sugar with high molasses content
25 g raisins
Decoration: fresh mint sprigs
How it’s made:
1. Place cherries in a bowl, pour 30 ml of coconut rum, mix well and leave aside.
2. Cut the pineapple on both ends. Remove the peel with a sharp knife. Cut the pulp in quarters, lengthwise. Remove fibrous core from each quarter and then cut into cubes.
3. For the syrup, place 450 ml of water in a saucepan and boil it. Throw in the pineapple, cinnamon, anise and sugar. Stir until the sugar dissolves. After that lower the flame, cover the saucepan and boil it on low fire for 8-10 minutes, until pineapple is soft.
4. Take the pan from heat and move all the pineapple pieces in a bowl, pressing the fruit to drain the juice in excess .
5. Add the raisins to the syrup, boil again on low flames for 15-20 minutes, until the amount is reduced by one quarter. Pour the remaining rum and continue cooking for 1 minute. Remove the pan from fire and also remove the cinnamon pieces.
6. Mix the syrup with cherries and pour the mix over the pineapple. Serve it cold right from the refrigerator.